Friday, April 8, 2016



It's all mine and you can't have it. I needed a special dresser to fit my cozy apartment bedroom so since I rarely ever make anything for myself, I took a hiatus and spent the winter testing the limits of my shop and skills. If enduring the cold shop making both me and the wood shiver wasn't the hardest part, then it might have been re-gluing the stubborn Ipe (aka Iron Wood aka Brazilian Walnut) and non-porous composite boards. These materials turned out to be every bit as beautiful as they are stubborn. Once the drawers were set into the Ambrosia Maple frame, the color contrast warmed my heart and made this project worth stressing over. The level of anxiety I felt when I wasn't able to work on this piece was something that I had never experienced during my short time as a maker. I apologize to all who endured my divided attention and absence during the making of this dresser. It is one of my favorite personal creations and now I am twice as pleased when it comes time to put on a clean pair of underwear.

Chest of drawers, 28"x18.5"x48", Salvaged Ambrosia Maple, Ipe, Salvaged Poplar composite, Spalted Beach

The Ambrosia Maple frame is lap-jointed and joined with an Ipe through- wedge tenon.

Full view drawers made from tongue and groove (T&G) Ipe and salvaged Poplar composite T&G flooring. The drawers slide on Ipe rails.

Spalted Beach handles. This was the first fitting of the drawers.

No comments:

Post a Comment